Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Lesney #46c-Mercedes 300SE Coupe Restoration

Good evening folks! I had a little break in tests today and thought I'd try and throw some paint on something. I have a few beat up examples of this casting laying around, and it's about time I did something about that.

I'm a big vintage Mercedes fan, and the W111 ranks up there as one of the classiest cars of all times. (in my opinion) I never really cared for the colors the Lesney versions came in, especially that bright green. These cars look so good in nice subdued colors, pale golds, silvers, browns, colors like that.

Such a lovely car. Modern Mercedes cars just look so plain in comparison


So here's the car I started with. It's the first restoration I've ever done where I needed NO paint stripper to start with. Nearly all the paint was gone, and a quick brush up from the Dremel took care of what little paint remained. The hood ornament is gone, but the windows are nearly flawless, which is strange considering the hard life that this car has no doubt led! 




Using the first picture as inspiration, here's what I came up with:




I might go back and do some detailing later, but this was just a quick respray in between studying! I know the suspension is sagging in the back, but that's just the way it is haha. 

Here's a little family photo with the other two I have on display. 


Did you enjoy this post? Like LA's Diecast Blog on Facebook for more great photos and posts!



1 comment: