Monday, April 14, 2014

1955 Chevy Bel Air "Cuban" Style

So this is one of those customs that came out of late-night boredom. I couldn't sleep, and I didn't want to go paint anything or do any bodywork. I had been watching a TV show that had some scenes in Cuba, and I was reminded about the old American cars in Cuba. They are absolutely fascinating, how they've been kept on the road all thee years using whatever parts may be available at the time. Generally, they are held together with fishing line, duct tape, chewing gum and a prayer, and usually with the addition of a Mercedes OM615 diesel engine, or something similar. You have to commend that kind of commitment to a car.
Anyways, I thought I'd make something that looks like an old car you might see driving around in Cuba. I dug around in my bin of forlorn projects and dug out this old Bel Air. I dug out some old wheels, and pretty much called it done. Using the good ol silver sharpie, the trim looks like it used to be bright and shiny chrome but has tarnished over the years. Anyways, let's get onto the pics.. What do you think?











No comments:

Post a Comment