Tuesday, March 4, 2014

New Project: Lesney #75b Ferrari Lusso Berlinetta

Hi everyone! I apologize for the lapse in posts lately. School has been crazy, and the weather has been crazier! But with spring break coming up I should be able to get some good Matchbox time in! I'm going to be flying all over this part of the US to build time, and when I get back, I'm gonna crank out some restos hopefully.

But for now, I present to you my favorite Lesney regular wheel casting, the Ferrari Berlinetta. Matchbox captured this car so well, I feel it's one of the best castings they've ever done. The detail is very intricate and the old school wire wheels look superb. I'm in my early 20s, but I firmly believe that classic cars are miles ahead of the latest and greatest ones. I can appreciate the speed and technology in, say, a Nissan GT-R, but I have absolutely no desire to ever own one. They aren't cool, and will never be cool. But a vintage Ferrari, Jaguar, Merc, etc.. They are off the charts cool. I think it's safe to say that this is my favorite diecast car ever! So I think it's time to do one.







So that's where this guy comes in. I bought it off eBay a while back, thinking it just might be that elusive red variation that is worth thousands. I knew it probably wasn't, but the bidding went to only a few dollars, so I figured what the heck? Of course, it was just a repaint. A good repaint for not having disassembled it, but a repaint nonetheless. You can see the green paint sticking out from the interior! 

I'm not going to call this one a restoration, cause it is really in excellent shape. But that red paint is chipped just enough to warrant a redo. I have no idea what color it will be yet. I buy automotive touch-up paint from auto parts stores for these old cars. Without a clearcoat, I think they really mimic the original finishes these models came with. A little glossy, but not overly shiny. I think I will just walk into one of these stores and just see what grabs me. I'm thinking maybe a very dark metallic brown, like Steve McQueen's Lusso. What do you think?

Like us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment