Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Project Update: Lesney #74b Daimler Bus

Well, things haven't been going too well with this project. It's been on the back burner for a while so I thought I'd work on it a little bit. It was the green variation originally, so I decided to repaint it in the same color. For non-metallic enamel colors, I stick with cheap big box store spray paint. It generally looks pretty close to the original finish of these cars. Here's the result after a few coats of green...


It came out looking pretty decent. I didn't picture the chassis as I had a bit of a mishap with it... I live in a second floor apartment, and do my painting out of the back window. While painting the chassis, it fell off the paint stand and onto some gravel below... Not my finest hour! But I pulled the dirt particles out and I don't think I need to repaint it. A couple more coats of green and I don't think you'll be able to tell. 

The only problem is the shade of green... It's not even close. The cap of the paint can looked pretty accurate, but once I started laying coats down, it's quite a bit darker than the original. Here's a pic of an original #46 in the same color for comparison.


So what do my readers think? Should I leave it alone or try to find a green that's a better match? I like the color, it looks nice. It's just not correct for the model. Let me know what you think in the comments.


Like us on Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment