Sunday, January 26, 2014

New Project: Lesney #25d Ford Cortina MkII

Well I finished my BMW, and finished the trolley bus as much as I can, so I figured it was time to dig into my "beat up Lesney" drawer on my workbench and fish something out. I found this tired but complete Cortina. I'm a big fan of old British Fords, so let's see what can be done with this old car!













This car is pretty much my definition of a perfect project Lesney. The windows are very dusty, but no cracks or major imperfections that I can see. (Hopefully that is still the case once they're cleaned) As is the case with any model with opening features, those parts tend to go missing after years of playing, so it's nice that the doors are still here. Lastly, that trailer hitch is still intact. So it looks rough, but honestly, I couldn't think of a better starting point. 

Up to now, I have disassembled the car, and can really see what I have to work with. Like I said, a bit dirty, but in great shape. 

I've run into one problem though.. Bent axles! This is the front axle, and it's much worse than the back. Does anybody have any good suggestions on how to fix this? I want to use the original parts if at all possible, for authenticity, and to save money.. (Broke college kid here)
Also, my ham fists broke a wheel trying to get it off the axle.. Guess I didn't file the end down enough. I think I'll have to order a new wheel.

So there we have it, a little intro to my latest project. Tips and tricks are always appreciated! I'm new at the restoration side of the hobby, and can use all the help I can get! Till next time..

Please like us on Facebook! LA's Diecast Blog



No comments:

Post a Comment